A simple guide to work as an advanced sewer!
Most of the people feel daunted when they look at a sewing machine for the very first time. However, it is not as complicated as it seems, you can experience that on your own after learning the basics of setting and using a sewing machine. There are few best high-end sewing machines for advanced sewers that can be daunting to the beginners, but with the following guide, the beginners can also become advanced level sewers within a short time.
The sewing machine basics:
The landmark of the machine
It does not matter what model or brand of machine you have; the key features will all be the same. Here is a simple representation of the common features of the machine, but it is essential to know that the position and the design of these features might change in each model. Before setting up the machine, look at the key parts:
- The spool pin – to sit the thread cone.
- The bobbin stand – to place the empty bobbin.
- The tension disc – to help wind the bobbin.
- The needle
- The handwheel
How to wind the bobbin?
Follow the directions to wind the bobbin with the thread from the bobbin easily.
- There is a requirement of two threads to form the perfect stitch. Thus, you require to transfer thread from the spool to the bobbin to set the machine right.
- Place the spool thread onto the pin and then guide the thread to ensure that it catches it below the tension disc.
- Then wind some thread manually around the empty bobbin, and the rest will be done automatically by the machine.
How to thread the machine (top thread)?
- Make sure to keep the needle at the highest position when you are threading the sewing machine. It can be done manually, or some machines have an automatic threading button.
- On the automatic machine, the lines and arrows are drawn to guide you with the perfect way to thread your needle.
- Make sure to pull the loops away that occurs due to the automatic needle threader.
How to do bobbin threading?
- Machines mostly provide guides to explain the bobbin threading method, as each machine has a different way to perform it.
- And in case your machine does not have an automatic button for that, then it is also easy to do it manually.
- Just hold the top thread under tension by using your left hand and then turn the handwheel with your right hand. Keep turning it until all the thread is on the empty bobbin.
The needle and feet position
- The foot is a little part of the machine, which allows sitting of the fabric under it.
- The standard foot is used for simple projects. It has a little slit through which the needle can pass to ensure that you are sewing the fabric right.
- Most of the machines have the master position of the needle to the left side of the foot.
- It helps you to stitch the fabric in a straight line.
- And in some machines, the position of the master point in the center of the foot. So, ensure to check the manual before starting to work on it.
The machine speed and the feed dogs
- The stitching speed of the machine is determined by the speed of the turning of the feed dogs.
- Feed dogs are little spiky grips that are mostly under the foot of the machine. It helps to provide grip to your fabric and allows it to pass through the machine.
- These feed dogs move after you put your feet on the pedal of the machine. The speed is dependent on the level of power you apply on the pedal.
- Some of the machines offer a set speed limit, and on the other hand, the speed of most of the machines have to be set manually.
Now that you have learned how to thread a sewing machine, you can easily start sewing!
Five shortcut features on your advanced sewing machine:
There are some features on your sewing machine which are not even mentioned in your manuals. Take a look at these hidden features and save your time by using these shortcut buttons on your best-advanced sewing machine.
An automatic thread cutting button
- If a little scissors button is in your site on the machine, then it is likely to be an automatic thread cutter.
- You can snip both bobbin and spool thread as close as possible to the cloth immediately after pressing the button on the machine.
- It makes the sewing work smoother without having an extra tool with you.
A blade for cutting thread
- If by chance, your machine does not have a thread cutting button, then it must have the next best thing, i.e., a thread cutting blade.
- It is mostly on the left side of the machine.
- It allows you to conclude your work by snipping the thread to remove the cloth.
An automatic needle threader
- Generally, people struggle in threading the needle; thus, to solve this problem, most of the advanced sewing machines come with an automatic threader.
- The tool descends when the lever on the needle’s left side is pulled down.
- Check the threading instructions on the manual.
A knee lifter
- Knee lifter is a bent metal prong that comes with the sewing machines.
- You have to stick it in the hole at the front of the machine to raise the presser foot with your knee without stopping your hands from working.
- It is useful for quilters or sewing something with pockets.
- The knee lifter makes the work easy, quick, and smooth.
- If the machine is giving zigzag stitches regularly, then using an overcast or overedge foot will make your life easier.
- There is a possibility that your machine might already have it.
- Use the handwheel initially to check the width of the zigzag stitch.
What are the necessary sewing tools to become an advanced sewer?
If you are in the process of becoming an advanced sewer, then you must first start with the basic tools. The sewing tools are the most important thing to start your sewing career and expand it to the advanced level. Here is the basic guide that you know before getting into the sewing business:
The first and the most vital tool to have in your tool kit is a flexible tape measure to take body measurements and to choose the correct sewing pattern. There are a vast number of tape measures available in the market, including an extra-long tape measure, imperial or metric options, and many more. It is useful to have both metric and imperial measurements.
Chalk or marking pen
It is another important tool for a sewer, to draw the design or pattern on the fabric before cutting it for the sewing purpose. The lines or dots, drawn with the pen or chalk are made to mark the placement markings of the pattern on the fabric.
After marking the lines or dots on the fabric, now it is time to cut out the pieces of your fabric. You must ensure to invest in the best pair of high-quality scissors, which must cut the fabric with very little effort and must stand by the test of the time.
Snipers or small scissors
Small scissors prove to be quite handy for trimming the loose ends of the fabric to make it look neat and clean. Most of the fabrics have ends with loose threads, which give the outfit an untidy look. Thus, they also keep snips or small scissors handy.
Needles for the sewing machine
The sewing machine needles are dependent on the fabric you are working with. Hence, it is best to have a pack of universal needles in a variety of sizes to get going with your sewing business.
Needles for hand sewing
Many sewing works require a little bit of hand sewing work. Thus, it is good to have a pack of hand sewing needles in your sewing essentials. These are handy to deliver the product as per its requirement.
It is another tool that you must come across in the sewing kit of the advanced sewers. The mistakes in the sewing and unpick the incorrect stitch can be easily undone with the seam ripper. Some of the rippers have some rubbery bit on its end, which is useful to pick up the stray threads on fabric with a single drag. It is your choice to choose whatever you want with you.
Ironing board and a steam iron
It is very crucial to have a good steam iron and the board, to iron the seams to provide professional and neat sewing results. Without setting the seams right, the outfit won’t look graceful and appealing.
Best advanced sewing machine
It is quite obvious that you must have a sewing machine to even plan for starting sewing work. Without having a sewing machine, it is of no use to have any of the tools that are mentioned above. There is a variety of sewing machines available in the market, but you must opt for a best-advanced sewing machine as it is something that you don’t buy regularly.
Pros & cons of advanced and manual sewing machine:
This is quite a common question that arises in the minds of the sewers. Earlier, there were just manual sewing machines available, but with the advancement in technology, sewing machines are also developed into advanced sewing machines. So, here are the pros and cons of both the machines to guide you into shopping for the best ones for you.
It is the best sewing machine for advanced sewers but is proven to be the option for the beginners to learn to stitch.
They have multiple automatic features
- It offers features like automatic needle up and down, automatic needle threader, automatic thread cutter, auto tension, etc.
- They are convenient and time-saving features.
- They also offer a lock stitching feature that finishes your stitching from underneath for a neat finish.
They offer dozens of stitching options
- These machines have hundreds of multiple stitching options, including symbols and letters.
- It opens up your scope of adding a little extra to your sewing projects.
They have dozens of automatic buttonhole stitches
- Creating buttonholes was never easier before the invention of these advanced stitching machines.
- You simply choose the design and press the foot pedal, and the work would be done within no time
It provides you more control
- It gives a better speed control feature, which is not available in the manual machines.
- Some of the machines don’t even require a foot pedal to control the speed.
It can prove to be complicated sometimes
The advanced sewing machines are quite difficult to operate for beginners, but it is easy to learn and catch up on its features.
They are not durable.
The durability of advanced machines is quite less than that of the manual machines. But, if you care correctly, then no other machine is better than it.
However, the computerized machines are affordable, but if you want something more advanced than it is evident that you’ll have to pay more for that.
The price point
These machines are mostly affordable and start from a lower price range than the advanced ones.
They are easy to maintain
- Manual machines do not come with tough electrical motherboards and electrical parts.
- Its less complicated mechanism makes it easier to maintain.
They offer limited stitching styles.
If you require variety in stitching style, then this is the not one that you must look for as it offers nothing as compared to that of the computerized machines.
They have fewer buttonhole stitching options.
If you are interested in making more and more different clothes then, it offers a minimal scope in your hands.
They can prove to be more complicated than the computerized ones.
There are multiple things to do with the computerized machines. Thus the beginners should learn more about the automated machines than manual machines that come with complicity in every part of setting it.
Best Sewing Machines For Advanced Sewers:
|Product Image||Product Name||Type||Price|
Singer Sewing 6180 Brilliance Portable Sewing Machine, White/Gray
Usha Janome Dream Stitch Automatic Zig-Zag Electric Sewing Machine (White And Blue)
Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine
The Bottom Line:
It is quite difficult to say which one is the best sewing machine for advanced sewers and beginners, but the answer to this question is that not everyone can be comfortable with the same style. Thus, both the machines are good to use, but your choice is the only thing that matters. You can check the details of the best sewing machines reviewed to make your decision process quick and easy. The perfect way to choose between the best manual sewing machine and the best-advanced sewing machine is to look for the price that you can easily afford. Shop it and start sewing!