When to Start The Cleaning Process:
Your doctor will tell you everything about the processes you have to follow after the birth of your baby. The umbilical cord is a very delicate area, and you should clean the nearby area with utmost care. You might feel a bit nervous about cleaning it, but believe me, it is very important; otherwise, bacteria can build up.
The umbilical cord falls after two weeks of birth. But it may fall off a bit earlier. Do not panic if you see a little bit of blood or secretion coming off the area. It implies that the are is getting healed. Take care not to put pressure while cleaning the area.
Usually, doctors suggest cleaning the area with a clean cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Make sure that it is seventy percent pure alcohol. Alcohol will help the are to dry up gradually. It will also keep the area clean and bacteria-free. Also, the surrounding area will dry up fast with its regular use, and the umbilical cord will fall off at the right time.
If you are a novice and this is the first time you are cleaning your baby’s umbilical cord, we understand that you are a little bit nervous and worried at the same time. But, let us tell you, this is a natural process, and nature will take care of it. All you have to do is have some patience and learn how to clean the umbilical cord properly.
In this blog, I will share some simple steps sp that you can easily clean your baby’s umbilical cord without any mess.
The Methods of Cleaning Umbilical Cord:
Once the umbilical cord has started to dry off, you can follow these steps to clean the area so that it falls off easily.
Things you will need:
- Cotton swab
- Damp cloth
- Dip the cotton swab into the alcohol
- Gently clean the surrounding area with it. Clean it well and also clean blood if there is any.
- Let the are air dry.
- Take a clean cloth or cotton swab. Make sure it is completely clean.
- Wash your hands.
- Moist the cloth or the cotton and gently clean the area surrounding the umbilical cord.
- Keep the area open as much as possible.
- If possible, give the baby a little sponge bath. Take special care while doing it so that the area does not come in contact with water.
After you see that the umbilical cord has dried up completely and fallen off, you should follow these steps.
- Make sure that the umbilical cord has detached properly. Only then should you proceed with the next steps.
- Wash your hands properly before cleaning the umbilical cord.
- If there is still a little blood, grab a clean cotton swab and gently wipe that off.
- Take a few drops of alcohol and clean the area again to ensure that it is properly clean.
- Dip another cotton swab in water and gently wipe around the area.
- Grab a piece of clean cloth and remove any drop of water around the area.
- Let it dry completely.
If you think that the area is getting drier day by day and healing, you can give your baby a little shower.
You can do these things by yourself, and there is no need to get afraid of a little blood or secretion. But, I am also going to mention some of the things that need immediate medical attention.
- Your baby should not feel any pain when the umbilical cord falls off because it does not have any nerve endings. But, if your baby is crying, or has a high fever and does not want to eat, then it is better if you consult a doctor. The doctor can tell you if everything is alright or you need to do something else.
- Do not try to clean the area if it is swollen and turning red day by day. It might imply that the umbilical cord has got infected somehow. Do not worry if that is the case. The doctor will suggest to you the necessary steps follow.
- If you find that blood is coming out of the area, please consider consulting the doctor. If it is getting healed properly, then there should be traces of some dried blood. But blood should not come out of the area surrounding the umbilical cord.
The process of cleaning the umbilical cord is very easy. You need to maintain hygiene properly and ensure that you do not use a wet cloth or cotton swabs to clean the cord. Keep the area dry and clean.