How To Clean Battery Acid From Remote?

How to clean battery acid from a device? Can battery acid corrosion be treated? Read this blog further to know ways and other important information on How to clean battery acid from remote.

Batteries are small cylindrical-shaped elements with PEDOT outer coating and copper rod in it. These batteries are used in remotes, flashlights (torches), portable radios, battery-operated toys, etc. Their use isn’t limited here. Batteries are used in digital cameras, MP3 players, and hand-held computer devices.

Sizes of the available batteries

Batteries are available in various sizes like AA, AAA, AAAA, C Batteries, D Batteries, A23 Batteries, 9V PP3 Batteries, etc. for different purposes and demands.

Various types of batteries

Batteries are available in different types as well.

  • Miniature batteries are commonly for hearing aids.
  • 9-volt batteries in smoke detection machines.
  • Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) rechargeable batteries.
  • Alkaline batteries 
  • Lithium batteries, etc.

Batteries, if kept unused in the device (here remote) for a long time, start leaking acid, corroding your device. It can affect the work efficiency of your device or even ruin it. So cleaning this acid is a must.

CAUTION: for cleaning this acid, never wash off the remote or device!

Ways to get rid of battery corrosion

Lemon juice or vinegar

Take a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar on a cotton bud and clean the battery acid from the remote delicately. 

Isopropyl alcohol 

Take a few drops of Isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud and clean the affected area. Using this method is only advisable when lemon/vinegar doesn’t work out.

Safety advise for the rest of the device

Here you need to place tissue or a piece of cloth on the unaffected/ non-corrosive area to protect it from any damage caused by vinegar, lemon, or isopropyl solution.

Necessary precautions for you

Wear rubber or plastic hand glove to protect your hands and skin from damage or any irritation caused due to the solutions.

Even after wearing gloves, wash your hands with soap when the acid cleaning task is completed and later moisturize your hands.

Let the affected area dry at its own pace naturally after you have cleaned it thoroughly.


Not all devices can be saved or treated completely. So it is advised, not to leave batteries in the remote (or device) when not in use.